onsdag den 12. januar 2011

Naval engineering and interest


Our media centre shows all our pictures in random selection and quite a lot are about ships large and small. Those pics gave me an idea for todays blog as looking over my old pictures made me think over how many pictures I have relating to my shipbuilding intrest.




My father was a Commander RDN and also a Mechanical engineer through what can be best compared to ROTC, graduating in 1932, so I have a long list of stories and recollections from his telling me about being in the danish navy and studying for engineer.
The Dock behind the mast-crane was filled with MTB s and submarines when I as a kid and my father visited Holmen the Naval Yard- Today the Danish Navy is mainly quartered at Korsør



Fortunately he was retired only when I was a small kid, and then continued working with naval business having agentures for Weinmann and
Secumar, so the trips to danish industry and yards continued. The Secumar life jacket in the picture is onboard Peder Skram and seeing it pleased me quite a lot as my father winning the order of Secumars to the Danish Navy was a celebration event in my family in 1972. I know its standard Nato issue today, but still...

Later I duly studied for naval engineering being able to learn a lot about numerical solutions for shipbuilding as the field was just beginning by 1983 when I graudated, taking lectures with Prof. Harvald and Juncher Jensen. By my graduation the danish shipbuilding industry was sinking fast so I pursued mechanical physics at FLS. But thats another story.







I've tried hard to pass the naval bug to my daughter, I wonder though how much of it will take.




I've some very nice pictures from Peder Skram 2005 , with Maria who for some reason enjoyed the berths and the engine room in particular.











Maria, her best friend Sofie and I two years later visited the Danish Naval Forces Museum during the fall vacation 2007 as they, commemorating the battle of Copenhagen had outdoor theatre with enacted hand to hand combat with sabre and pistol.








Maria and Sofie afterwards took up the battle up on in the kids playground in the basement, arranged with bowspit, part of cannon deck and privateer scuttle 'sailing' on the floor.






Also the Willemoes class mock-up bridge and aa-gun emplacement had them all lively and happy playing navy against warsaw pact.




Watch out for the girls. They are precise, able to handle several tasks, and never forgets a slight.

Ingen kommentarer: